- Good timing and Good Fortune? Luciana Brito Galeria inaugurates its New York project I was contemplating some of Luciana Brito’s smart business choices of late. In early 2016, she moved the gallery from the corporate neighborhood of Vila Olímpia to a beautiful heritage-listed modernist house in the much more central area of Jardim Europa.
- Visual Rhythm: A conversation with curator Luiz Camillo Osório about Abraham Palatnik’s exhibition at Galeria Nara Roesler Palatnik’s art conveys a sound-wave-like musicality based on a technique and system akin to piano tuning, which he originally devised in the 1950s. However, in place of musical chords and an interaction among notes, he "fine-tunes" spray-painted laths organized to interplay like optical waves.
- The Silent Kingdom of Paint The art of painting has never been in a gridlock for figurative artist Fabio Cardoso. The São Paulo-born artist displays thirteen canvases of his “Quase Pinturas” (Almost Paintings) series, curated by art critic Agnaldo Farias, at CAIXA Cultural in Rio de Janeiro through July 23. This series of oil works dive into the overtones of Braziliana with a tinge of…
- Geometric Transformations: A Conversation with Luiz Hermano about his “Trapézio" Artist Luiz Hermano’s “Trapézio,” a large installation of floating steel sculptures at São Paulo’s SESC Santo Amaro, is based on fifty-three different compositions of a sole geometric figure, the trapezoid, that is, a quadrilateral with at least one pair of parallel sides. Commencing a four-decade career, Hermano took his first steps in art through drawing as a boy in his…
- Practicing Inclusivity Through Painting: Rising Star Luiz Escañuela on Fighting Conservatism Through Art The compass in the art of twenty-five-year-old Luiz Escañuela, Brazil’s rising hyperrealist painter, is both social and political.
- Silence, Space and Time: Luiz Paulo Baravelli on the Ingredients of His Art Practice Silence, space and time are crucial for the seventy-seven-year-old painter, draughtsman, sculptor, engraver, art teacher and newspaper chronicler, who dropped out of architecture, though it remains the basis of his oeuvre.